Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] jdc@teleport.com is offline

Default AR-15 & M16 Bolt Carrier groups

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 2:02:51 PM UTC-8, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 16:15:53 -0500, Tom Gardner

wrote:

On 3/3/2013 3:02 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

They're for killing people. That's who gets them -- people who are

going to kill, or threaten to kill, other people. That's what they're

for, that's what they're all about, and that's why they're out there.

Except for the millions and millions that are used for organized sports

and other very responsible uses.

Sure. But as for the "millions and millions," figures projected from

the NRA-researched number from a few years ago up to Dec. 2012 says

there are around 3,750,000 of them in the US. That's around 1.2% of

guns.

Here's the best work at estimating that I've seen:

http://tinyurl.com/bwgyhg6

But again, the entire design and concept is guns for killing people. I

know that the same is true of my .45 ACP 1911 Colt, but because of its

age and limited magazine capacity, the original purpose of the gun

doesn't hit people in the face like the hit they get when they see an

AR-15, and think about where it comes from.

You should realize, and I'm sure you do, that the entire political

issue is a matter of perceptions. And the results of the Fox News

poll, and virtually every other recent poll, tell you where that

perception lies.

The indisputable fact is that, since the early '90s, when I was a DCM

range officer and was defending them in Trenton, even providing

testimony in favor ot them, the marketing ("Renew Your Man Card," says

the bare-chested dude holding a Bushmaster in a menacing pose) and the

role these guns fulfill in the commando-wannabe world have made them

the gun of choice by the mass-murdering loons. Not for ordinary crime,

but for the horror shows that have made people stop and ask what kind

of a gun culture they want for this country.

And, they are far less lethal than originally designed, the Army's

changes ****ed that all up.

Gee, what a shame. That's going to make it harder for loony gun owners

to shoot up classrooms. They may have to used big magazines and shoot

toddlers multiple times to be sure they're dead.

Oh, that's just what Adam Lanza did, isn't it.....

--

Ed Huntress

but you have to admitt Ed, detect and fix the Adam L's of the world and
these arguments all become moot.

it should be about the broken people not the inadament objects.

i didn't say it's an easy task, but the fact that the focus of the debate is mostly on the objects and rather then the people is disingenuous at best.