Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 17:07:26 +0000 (UTC), Al Schmidt
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote on Fri, 01 Mar 2013 18:47:40 -0800:

I also heated some of the white stuff on a microscope slide. It melted
like plastic (burning my fingers in the process). The white stuff also
disolved nicely in acetone.

Those were fantastic pictures.

The microscope photos were awful, grainy, and somewhat otto focus but
sufficient to make a few observations:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/white-plastic-rot/
I left the microscope setup in my office and will try to take some
better pictures with better objective lenses and better lighting on
Monday night. Bottom lighting didn't work because the "plastic rot"
was too thick. It also wrecked the focus as my depth of field is very
limited at x100 and x400. Maybe lower power will help.

Ever wonder who makes the tool handles?
http://www.alhandles.com
Nothing on their site about the problem, or even what type of plastics
are used.

Typical acrylic extruded rods:
http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_rods_tubes_shapes/colored_acrylic_rod/148

I always assumed it was mold, but, now,
I must rethink 'what' it is.

It's not mold. It looks, acts, burns, melts, and disolves like
acrylic plastic. It's translucent, not white. It doesn't grow, has
no structure, doesn't creat colonies, and doesn't produce spores.

I don't remember trying acetone, but, my screwdrivers still have a
hint of the white stuff from years past, so I will try that to see.

Hold it. Don't try using acetone to clean your screwdriver. It will
attack and make a sticky mess of the good parts of the screwdriver
handle. Acetone will dissolve acrylic plastic which is what I guess
the handles are made from. Consult a chemical compatibilty chart for
plastics before using any solvents.
http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/acrylite_chem_resist.pdf
For cleaning, use anything that will scrape the stuff off, such as a
knife blade, scouring pad, or sandpaper. Use a buffing wheel to
retore the shine.

Thank you very much for the wonderful experimental work. You're in
the top 1% of all people who THINK on this planet!

Thanks again. I'll spare you my lecture on the topic. The simple
version is from Sherlock Holmes, where Watson "sees" but does not
"observe". Plastic rot is similar in that we "see" mold, but few have
the time, abilities, and equipment to test if it's really mold.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D