Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default How to build a file rack?

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 20:41:21 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
om:

Like my 39 year old Xcelite 99SM roll tool kit? It's starting to

dry
out & crack, but it never turned to goo. I've had it since Augst '74

and
carried it on service calls for over a decade. A lot of oil was put on
those tools over the years.

I guess it's what is in the oil. I have a Service Master kit, too, and
most of two of their suitcase kits, and wouldn't trade them for the
world. You and I must've gotten into the trade at the same time. My
first (owned) one was around April of '74.

The only oil I ever got on my Xcelite tools was light non-detergent
"turbine oil", like sewing machine oil, since that's the stuff used in
most electronics. As you said truly enough, it never hurt it.

I've had peanut oil-based coolant wreck heavy vinyl in short order... and
I've had canopy-canvas of the sort on golf cart rain huts go bad from
exposure to regular high-detergent motor oil.

So I guess YMMV, depending upon the oil you get on it. It probably has
to do with whether or not the oil and the plasticizers are co-solvents.

Anybody else want to guess how a high-sulfur cutting oil will affect
vinyl? I'm still picking 'no good'.

LLoyd

I agree. My Service Master is still going strong..though I did
change out the case to a Chicago Poly Pro when it started getting too
small for the tools I need to have immediately on hand. Now the case
is in the inside shop on a shelf.

Gunner

1. Lie