Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to build a file rack?

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

Like my 39 year old Xcelite 99SM roll tool kit? It's starting to

dry
out & crack, but it never turned to goo. I've had it since Augst '74

and
carried it on service calls for over a decade. A lot of oil was put on
those tools over the years.

I guess it's what is in the oil. I have a Service Master kit, too, and
most of two of their suitcase kits, and wouldn't trade them for the
world. You and I must've gotten into the trade at the same time. My
first (owned) one was around April of '74.

I got my first Xcelite tools in the late '60s. That set was given to
me by another GI when I left the service. I was mad that he spent $50 on
a gift, but it sure earned its keep.

The only oil I ever got on my Xcelite tools was light non-detergent
"turbine oil", like sewing machine oil, since that's the stuff used in
most electronics. As you said truly enough, it never hurt it.

I have had a lot of different oils get on it, along with brake fluid
and numerous solvents.

I've had peanut oil-based coolant wreck heavy vinyl in short order... and
I've had canopy-canvas of the sort on golf cart rain huts go bad from
exposure to regular high-detergent motor oil.

I'll cut some test strips when I can get to the assorted chemicals in
the garage.

So I guess YMMV, depending upon the oil you get on it. It probably has
to do with whether or not the oil and the plasticizers are co-solvents.

The only documentation I can find on the material i get is a low
flammability certificate. Considering what little it costs me, and what
I intended to use it for, I really don't care. I was offering some
small pieces for whatever use, and for what it cost me to ship it. As
far as I can tell, there are three types of sheet and one of the
screening. They won't give me any details on it, other than complain
that their US supplier when bankrupt and how hard it is to purchase &
import. They have to buy each color by the pallet load per color. They
used to have about three dozens colors available but now its only a half
dozen at best.

Anybody else want to guess how a high-sulfur cutting oil will affect
vinyl? I'm still picking 'no good'.

LLoyd