Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Transition Zone Transition Zone is offline

Default How to build a file rack?

On Mar 1, 8:56*am, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 05:41:07 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Gunner fired this volley in
:

Gunner, back to file carding *aluminum from some files (GACK!!) and a
bit of rust on one or 3

You never heard of chalking a file to prevent pinning?

If you're filing aluminum, you don't need chalk. That's for filing
steel.

With aluminum, just oil your file. Or spray it with WD-40 -- one of
the few uses for WD-40 that's worthwhile. g

I keep separate files for aluminum and brass versus steel, for just
that reason. Once you've oiled a file you REALLY have to strip it
clean before using it on steel or it will skate, as you're well aware.
An oiled file won't skate on aluminum.

If you have any use for a file at all, put a handle on it, put a hole in
the handle, and hang it from the hole -- with a plastic or cloth scabbard
to help keep it clean.

Keep the rest rolled up in oiled paper -- just like Nicholson ships 'em.

Acid 'sharpening' takes a real knack, and isn't a good sharpening,
anyway. *In practice, you run the file flat and backwards over a piece of
oiled fabric stretched tight around a sharp edge of a table or block.

That oils just the tips of the teeth as a sort of "resist" for the acid.
Hydrochloric acid dissolves iron (muratic).

Nitric is much better for sharpening files. Yes, I've used both.
Nitric takes a faster bite, and seems to be less inclined to
preferentially round the cutting edge. It bites everywhere.

I hate having nitric anywhere in my house. I keep it in the

garage.

Yeah, the stuff and aluminum in any form can cause fires, too.