Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 23:52:35 -0500, micky
wrote:

The nutdriver is yellow!!

Is this a problem? In my drawer of rarely used nut drivers, blue is
also affected.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/plastic-rot.jpg

Yes, you certainly deal with a wide range of stuff. What business ARE
you in? :-)

That's a tough question to answer. Basically, I separate my customers
from their money by providing a wide variety of services. It usually
involves some form of electronics, but also includes oddities such as
sewing machine repair.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/Kenmore-sewing-machine.jpg
It is not unusual for me to repair appliances after fixing their
computers. As one business wanes (I was once in the calculator repair
biz), I expand into adjacent businesses. I find it helpful, but not
necessary, to know what I'm doing.

For a while my home phone was broken and my cell phone was lost (in
the house) and I was using Skype to call out.

Many cellular vendors allow you to activate a new phone, on an
existing number, via their web page, or via the phone. For example,
with Verizon, you dial *228. Buy a spare qualifying Verizon phone on
eBay for a few dollars and throw the spare where you can find it (i.e.
your vehicle). When you lose your phone, just activate the spare
until you find it. Also, make sure that the spare phone you purchase
is "clean".
http://checkesnfree.com

I didn't sign up for a Skype phone number yet, however. If someone
calls when I'm not there, can the caller leave a message, or at least
his phone number??

No. Incoming calls from the PSTN cannot be received without a Skype
account that includes an incoming phone number. Without a phone
number, there's no way for anyone to dial your computer from a POTS
phone. What I've done is purchase a minimal account for a few
dollars, and use it only for emergencies. I've had about $15 on my
account for several years, with no monthly charges.

Similarly, Skype also charges for voicemail storage. However, if the
incoming caller uses Skype to originate the call, the PSTN is not
involved and your Skype client will show that you've received a call
from some person. The catch is that if you allow anyone to call your
Skype account, you open the flood gates to getting spammed and
solicited at your account. I have mine set to only allow calls from
people in my Skype address book.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D