Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default How to build a file rack?

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 06:35:55 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 23:23:25 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

Im going through drawers and tool boxes and dug out my files. A good
75 or more of them, Mill files, knife files, rasps, half round,
triangular, square, cant mill *******s etc etc

Ive been keeping them in IBM punch card drawers...laid on top of each
other..not a good thing.

What method have yall found to be really good for storing files,
ready for use? About 1/3-1/2 have handles. I was at a swap meet some
years ago and bought some 20 or so Nicolson handles, all new red
plastic and have installed them on the most used files..and a bunch of
the other files came with handles.

I'm finally getting around to putting handles on my older files. It
makes a much more usable file.

Files run in length from 6"-20" long. Some of the woodworking rasps
are pretty big.

Got a spare Nicholson 49 (or 50) in that stock you'd like to part
with? How much do you want for it?

I may have a couple 49s..not sure about the finer 50. Free to you of
course, if I have them.

Many of the handles have holes in them so I could..could hang them
from spikes..but not all do.

So drill them. 'Taint rocket surgery. Hanging is the best way I've
found. Pound some 16d nails through a tubafore and mount that to the
wall. Grind the points off the nails and bend them up slightly to
hold the files.

I dont have an EDM machine to drill them. Oh..the handles. Blush..

Another possible way is taking lengths of PVC pipe and sticking them
in that. Tie 'em together with a band clamp and make them short
enough to see the file tooth pattern on each.

Yaknow..thats not a bad idea at all. Ill check into that!! Indeed!

I dont use files a hell of a lot..but when I do..I like em sharp and
not have to hunt for them.

Ive been the one to snag the files from machine shops that go out of
business..so I have a bunch of them, and a fair number of duplicates.

Nice!

Oh..any good suggestions for sharpening the few that need it? I know
that many places dip them in acid. What kind and at what
concentration? A box of battery acid perhaps?

A woodworking buddy (Steve Knight, a retired hand plane maker from
Portland) used a service in HelL.A. area, Boggs Tool. He liked the
results. http://www.boggstool.com/page5.html

Boggs is one of the names. And its in my service range.

Thanks!

Gunner, back to file carding aluminum from some files (GACK!!) and a
bit of rust on one or 3

Soft, sticky types of aluminum are hell to get off files, aren't they?
I hate that. Doesn't lye eat aluminum?

Thats what Ive been considering using. Got some Draino in the
lue..might make up a bit and soak the bad ones.

Ive been cleaning and oiling the files..yeah..not supposed to oil
them. Shrug. Got some very very very light gauge oil in a spray can
that lost its propellent so popped a hole in the can and put it into a
pump oil can. Paint brushed em with that gauge oil and set a bunch of
them in a small plastic tub last night and let em drain. More today.

Its a very very light oil. Runs like water. Almost kerosene.

If I find the oil to be an issue if I use one..got carby cleaner at
hand all the time. Spritz and the oil is gone.

Gunner, making a note to check for #49/50 rasps

1. Lie