Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to build a file rack?

"Gunner" wrote in message

What method have yall found to be really good for storing files,
ready for use?

I made two wall racks for them. The one for the files I use most is a
sheet aluminum U channel with nibbled slots far enough apart that I
can grab the handles. It also holds the dial caliper. The second,
denser one is a plank with two columns of angled finishing nails, for
the less commonly used files with no or smaller handles (wire nuts
etc). The excess and large taps and reamers are in drawers inside
heatshrink tubing or taped cardboard sleeves. I brush them clean
before putting them away so the heatshrink won't be contaminated with
conductive metal particles when I need it for wiring.

Then there is one of these near the mill and over the lathe for their
files, brushes, screwdrivers and wrenches:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31rU-1XXmhL.jpg
The tools in the front row keep the lathe toolholders on the back step
from sliding off. It's a convenient place to put the chuck key. A row
of L hooks under the lathe rack holds spring calipers and square-hole
Armstrong wrenches.
jsw