Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default How to build a file rack?

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 23:23:25 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

Im going through drawers and tool boxes and dug out my files. A good
75 or more of them, Mill files, knife files, rasps, half round,
triangular, square, cant mill *******s etc etc

Ive been keeping them in IBM punch card drawers...laid on top of each
other..not a good thing.

What method have yall found to be really good for storing files,
ready for use? About 1/3-1/2 have handles. I was at a swap meet some
years ago and bought some 20 or so Nicolson handles, all new red
plastic and have installed them on the most used files..and a bunch of
the other files came with handles.

Files run in length from 6"-20" long. Some of the woodworking rasps
are pretty big.

Many of the handles have holes in them so I could..could hang them
from spikes..but not all do.

I dont use files a hell of a lot..but when I do..I like em sharp and
not have to hunt for them.

Ive been the one to snag the files from machine shops that go out of
business..so I have a bunch of them, and a fair number of duplicates.

Oh..any good suggestions for sharpening the few that need it? I know
that many places dip them in acid. What kind and at what
concentration? A box of battery acid perhaps?

Thanks!

I've seen references to "sharpening" files in a vinegar bath, pickling
vinegar was mentioned which I believe is stronger then table vinegar.
And, also reference to "battery acid". Apparently a variety of acids
work.

--
Cheers,

John B.