Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold & Susan Vordos Harold & Susan Vordos is offline

Default How to build a file rack?

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
sniop--

Dunno about sharpening -- I'd like to hear the answer.

When my dad did a lot of bodywork he sent his files out to be sharpened
by a guy that reground them, and was pretty contemptuous of the folks
that used acid -- but lead files are much coarser than regular files, and
none of the ones I saw were diamond pattern.

Sharpening a Vixen file is one hell of a lot different than trying to
sharpen a mill *******. Acid really is the only choice, so long as you
address the hydrogen embrittlement that results from its use.

If you make the decision to use acid, give your files a roast at 375 degrees
for a couple hours afterwards, to eliminate hydrogen. Sulfuric, nitric or
hydrochloric (Muriatic) acid will do the job. Might be hard to get nitric,
however.

Don't use any of these acids in your shop. The resulting fumes rust the hell
out of everything ferrous.

Harold