Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

On 28 Feb 2013 06:24:01 GMT, Brian Berg wrote:

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:01:42 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

You can have mutant oil eating bacteria today:

I hadn't realized they were that advanced!

Yep. So far, 27 different varieties of bacteria and fungus have added
diesel fuel to their menu:
http://www.oillab.co.nz/diesel_bug_explained
https://www.google.com/search?q=diesel+bacteria&tbm=isch
When I drove a diesel pickup truck, I would occasionally add a biocide
to the tank. Over time, the bugs are developing immunities to the
common bug killers. Left to expand uncontrollably, this could be the
end of civilization as we know it.

Meanwhile, researchers are working on a way to break down all the
plastic bottles, containers, packaging, and junk that our civilization
is so good at producing. At the present rate, we'll be swimming in
plastic garbage unless something is done to accelerate decomposition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch
One of the methods proposed is to breed and release plastic eating
bacteria in the landfills.
http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/blogs/boy-discovers-microbe-that-eats-plastic
http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110328/full/news.2011.191.html
etc. Eventually some bug will be found that eats plastic. It will
leak out of the landfills, infest out homes, destroy everything made
from plastic, and rewind civilization before the discovery of
petroleum (steam punk?), which might not be such a bad thing.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D