Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

On 27 Feb 2013 20:49:53 GMT, Brian Berg wrote:

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:14:07 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Maybe a photo will help:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/plastic-rot.jpg

That's EXACTLY what this screwdriver USED to look like!

So, whatever it is, it's common.

Yes, I'm glad to learn about that. I thought I was so alone (boohoo).

Again, I don't know if it is a mold or a chemical.
It does NOT happen to all tools of the same type.

It just happens to select tools which were stored in a
different environment (I think my affected screwdrivers
were used when I worked at a hospital on oxygen respirators).

In my case, I'll have 20 tools in a drawer, or 15 little tools in an
inbox, and only a few get "moldy". I have to take some time later
today to see how many are yellow.

In addition, the box of knobs is two boxes actually, in the same
drawer of an old dresser. Theyr'e almost all brown or black, and
I'll have to check if the moldy ones are all on top, or the bottom or
something, but I don't recall that being the case. And only some get
moldy.

The tooks and knobs have all spent 100% of their time in the previous
year or years in the same room in my basement.

IOW, the environments are the same