Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's a good way to get rid of rain surface rust on tools leftoutside

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 03:14:59 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:36:30 +0000 nestork wrote:

Can you give me more information on the source of 85 percent
concentration phosphoric acid?
Is it a retail product or was that what
you were quoted from a chemical/lab supply place?

Sure.

That 85% H3P04 was based on this post I did on Sat 23 Feb at 06:44:45 (UTC):
Looking up sources of phosphoric acid, I see I can also buy 85% H3PO4
at about $13/Liter or $40/gallon (which makes a ton of naval jelly).
http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php...hosphoric+acid

Here is another source of H3PO4 at $50/gallon:
http://www.interstateproducts.com/1_...er_pricing.htm

I'm thinking of buying the stuff, just to experiment with it.
With shipping, it should come to something like $18 a liter which
would be compared to 3 liters of Naval Jelly to have the same amount
of Phosphoric Acid, which would come to about $24 or so.

One thing though, that Naval Jelly is THICK STUFF, which I presume
the phosphoric acid isn't as thick - but either one would work for my
tools.

No, it's not. That's one of the advantages of NJ. It can be glopped
onto surfaces in any orientation.

I use Boeshield stuff on my cast iron tools. The protectant works
quite well, though it's not as slick as I'd like. The rest remover
works but takes some elbow grease.

Note:
I'm having trouble with aioe so I hope this (a) posts, & (b) posts only once!
(To make matters worse, Aioe all day said (441 Banlist), probably because
they think I'm multiple posting - which is funny because it's only happening
with Aioe since I post under multiple nyms and nntp accounts).

There is an easy solution for that.