Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Raffling off a project for a cause

Swingman wrote in
:

On 2/27/2013 6:03 PM, jtpr wrote:
My brother in law and closest friend (fellow woodworker) suffered a
massive brain bleed back in September. Anyway he is currently in a
skilled nursing facility and will probably be coming home in June.
This will be tough on his wife financially as there are a lot of
things that need to be done to accommodate his needs. Plus, he was
the primary bread winner, and he is only 55 so she could be looking a
a LOT of years of care.

So, I was thinking; what if I made something and either raffled it or
auctioned it off to help raise funds for her? I was looking around
online but not really finding what I need. Also, how would people
know I was legit? Has anybody done this sort of thing with something
they have made? Any suggestions?

I could use the web site I made her (http://www.careformel.org) to
advertise it, but they don't really have a huge number of people
visiting it.

If you know some folks online and particularly in social networking
sites, you might want to consider doing this for them:

http://www.giveforward.com

A family friend set up a medical fund at that site for my youngest
daughter, 27, and has raised $4k+ in the space of a couple of weeks to
help her pay for experimental drugs to treat a rare, disfiguring
disease that the insurance company will not pay.

She is pretty much overwhelmed with the support she has received from
that quarter, and it has proven to be a godsend for both her morale,
and well as helping pay her bills.

I think they take a 10% fee, but the donor can also pay that if they
wish.

If you want to leave no stone unturned for your BIL, give it a shot,
and then let _everyone_ know about it. There's a lot of generous folks
out there ...

I don't mind giving for causes like this. What is your giveforward site,
Karl?

--
Best regards
Han