Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Tim Williams Tim Williams is offline

Default Dirty switchers ...

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
My first color TV -- purchased in 1974 -- was a Sony KV-1920. It had a
switching supply.

I don't know which company was the first to make consumer products with
switching supplies -- but I wouldn't be surprised if it were Sony.

They'd been doing it since before then -- I have the schematics in my
RC-26 Receiving Tube Manual which depict a color set with half wave
(yuck!) offline rectification. Goes right to the flyback, whence all the
other voltages are generated. No heavy transformer (and, probably, a few
months lifetime for the poor sweep tube!).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com