Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

On 2/26/2013 3:18 AM, dsi1 wrote:
On 2/25/2013 10:48 AM, dsi1 wrote:

You've obviously never met a wide eyed dumbass who voted for the
present
administration. Electric vehicles haven't been developed
to the point that they can take the place of existing internal
combustion engine powered vehicles except for short range commuting
which I think is a wonderful use for them. An electric vehicle is
not suitable for my use because I often must travel a hundred miles
or more in a day and carry a load of tools and equipment. There is
no electric vehicle in existence that a normal citizen could afford
that has anything near the capabilities of my old gasoline powered
service van. O_o

It sounds like an electric vehicle is not for you. The reality is that
most passenger cars would not suit your needs. What's your point? Are
all normal citizens supposed to drive gasoline powered service vans?

You still don't grok the reality of modern transportation. My favorite
small car was my 1967 Renault 10. It had an 1108cc four cylinder liquid
cooled rear engine and was a great deal of fun to drive. It weighed
1730lbs and would be a great candidate for a DIY electrical conversion.
I could hop in the munchkin mobile and drive it a minimum of 300 miles
without refueling but there is no "electric only" car I know of that can
accomplish such a feat. To me, time is money and I can't screw around
waiting for my transportation to recharge it's batteries when someone
calls for my help. I'm actually looking for a small vehicle to zip
around in but an electric vehicle would still not be suitable for that
purpose. Understand this, I like electric vehicles for the jobs they're
capable of doing. They are not a panacea for an energy shortage by any
means and if you knew the whole story of the real cost of electric cars,
you know that they're not as Green and nonpolluting as you may have been
led to believe. O_o

TDD

I don't have any pie-in-the-sky idea that the electric car will solve
the world's problems. Whatever gave you that idea? Beats the hell out of
me how they're gonna generate all the electricity. My solution would be
to build a ****load of nuke powerplants in Alaska and send the power
South. I doubt that will happen but I don't believe that the technical
problems are too big to solve. We built a frickin' interstate highway
system out of practically nothing, didn't we? Now that must have seemed
like an impossible task at the beginning.

Why build the nuclear power plants in Alaska and waste all that power in
long electrical transmission lines? There are safe designs for nuclear
power plants that would make them good neighbors, much better
neighbors than coal fired power plants. Perhaps one day highways will
be modified to transfer power to electric vehicles while in motion which
would keep the batteries charged for trips off the highway. It may
be SciFi now but I recall when cellphones were science fiction. I really
do believe electric vehicles will be wonderful given time to develop and
build up a demand by the population but Moonbats are trying to force
them on the citizenry before they're ready for prime time. That will not
work as can be seen by all the "Green" energy companies that vaporized
after sucking up so much taxpayer money that was showered upon them with
great fanfare by the ignorant morons in charge of the country right now.
Don't you just adore The Emperor's new clothes? O_o

TDD