Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

On Feb 25, 8:35*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:16:17 -0500, wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 02:52:06 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 05:52:44 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Idears?? *Opinions?

Here's my idea. *Check this
http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdispla...ship-Forum&ord....

Cool, it answered one of my questions. The engine runs in cold weather
to heat the cabin and battery.
I am guessing it runs the A/C too.

My understanding is the battery heating circuit is isolated from the
engine cooling circuit. *The battery provides it's own juice.
The ICE starts when outside temp drops below 26F, to warm the cabin.
For later model 2012 and for 2013 models the temp point is 35F.
Some owners don't like that, and would be happy with just the electric
heated seats, so the ICE doesn't come on and make them buy gas.
Speculation is it's a safety issue - defogging the windows.
But it's probably more a marketing issue - using all electric cabin
heating would reduce the all-electric range, which is a big selling
point. *OTOH, real "gasoline-haters," would probably prefer a shorter
all-electric range, and only hear the ICE kick in when they push
against range.
And the A/C is all electric HP, not ICE. *I've seen different posters
saying A/C cost them 10-30% of range. *Probably depends on "mode" and
where they set the temp, just like any A/C.
Thing is the A/C not only cools the cabin, but the battery too.
Think that kicks in at 86F..
The thermal management system is pretty sophisticated.
I've seen some discussion about the Nissan Leaf having inadequate
cooling (air-cooling) but don't know how real the concerns are.
Anyway, heating and cooling reduces the Volt all-electric range
automatically except in the 35-85F range, to maintain the battery and
defog windows. *And the owner can reduce it further by jacking the
cabin temp up or down.

I have an I-miev. The cab can be pre-heated (or pre-cooled) whilst on
charge. Use of heating/cooling whilst in motion significantly reduces
range

The batteries are cooled whilst on charge because (with the Leaf)
there were issues of rapid battery deterioration in hot climates.
(Like losing 80% of range in a year)