Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Default Default is offline

Default How to solder very thin stranded wire?

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 12:36:51 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On 24 Feb 2013 16:47:58 GMT, "Default" wrote:

That is the theory... If you slowly feed something like 32 or higher
AWG wire onto a hot, heavily tinned, tip you can watch it dissapear.

I just tried it with one strand from 24 AWG stranded wire, which is
made from 7 strands of 32 AWG. I held the iron on the wire for about
5 minutes and nothing disappeared. Perhaps it's because my soldering
iron tip runs at about 400 C while copper melts at about 1085 C?

Probably should have said - single strand of soft, = 32 AWG
UNTINNED copper wire as in "solder ez" magnet wire. 32 will dissolve
(I know) and 41 awg is damn near impossible to solder to. Only thing
that works is "reflow" (tin the part and heat it then touch the wire
to it - or wrap it around a tinned heavier lead with several turns
then reflow. In production quantities flux the part then a quick dip
in a just-skimmed solder pot)

There is a real art to soldering fine gauge wire and litz wire.