Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Charles Charles is offline

Default Rigol DSA 815

"Jamie" wrote in message ...

josephkk wrote:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 19:11:30 -0500, "Charles"
wrote:

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz
with a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

It seems right nice for the price point. But for my use case Jan P.'s
design is a better deal.

?-)

I still think that 1.5Ghz is marginal with today's gear. Either a
block converter or one that can do at least 5Ghz would be more appropriate.

It would be nice to be able to at least look at the common 2.5Ghz band.

I have looked at that unit and while it has some nice standard
features and a good paint job, I think I would rather throw in some more
money to get one that does at least twice the BW.

Just my opinion from the peanut gallery....

Agreed. It costs more to go faster (sample higher):
http://www.rigolna.com/products/spec.../dsa1030a-tg3/

The 815 does a lot although limited in frequency, but is nevertheless a very
good buy. A frequency down converter would be nice. Any ideas?

I am impressed with its performance/cost ratio.