Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Rigol DSA 815

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz with
a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 19:11:30 -0500, "Charles"
wrote:

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz with
a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

It seems right nice for the price point. But for my use case Jan P.'s
design is a better deal.

?-)
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz with
a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

It seems right nice for the price point. But for my use case Jan P.'s
design is a better deal.

?-)

I still think that 1.5Ghz is marginal with today's gear. Either a
block converter or one that can do at least 5Ghz would be more appropriate.

It would be nice to be able to at least look at the common 2.5Ghz band.

I have looked at that unit and while it has some nice standard
features and a good paint job, I think I would rather throw in some more
money to get one that does at least twice the BW.

Just my opinion from the peanut gallery....

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz with
a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

It seems right nice for the price point. But for my use case Jan P.'s
design is a better deal.

Why do you even think about buying from a spammer?

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz
with a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

It seems right nice for the price point. But for my use case Jan P.'s
design is a better deal.

?-)

I still think that 1.5Ghz is marginal with today's gear. Either a
block converter or one that can do at least 5Ghz would be more appropriate.

It would be nice to be able to at least look at the common 2.5Ghz band.

I have looked at that unit and while it has some nice standard
features and a good paint job, I think I would rather throw in some more
money to get one that does at least twice the BW.

Just my opinion from the peanut gallery....

Agreed. It costs more to go faster (sample higher):
http://www.rigolna.com/products/spec.../dsa1030a-tg3/

The 815 does a lot although limited in frequency, but is nevertheless a very
good buy. A frequency down converter would be nice. Any ideas?

I am impressed with its performance/cost ratio.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz with
a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

It seems right nice for the price point. But for my use case Jan P.'s
design is a better deal.

Why do you even think about buying from a spammer?

So which one are you calling a spammer?

?-)

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

tuinkabouter wrote:

josephkk wrote:

So which one are you calling a spammer?

The OP.

He has nothing to do with the company, so he's a troll.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Charles" wrote in message ...

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz with
a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

http://www.tmworld.com/electronics-p...ctrum-analyzer

It is worth looking at. I have been using it a lot and find that (so far)
it meets its specs. Also, you can "print" to a flash drive and then easily
transfer the image (the display screen) to your computer. Nice!

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

wrote in Message id: :

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz with
a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

No thanks. For a little more money ($3K) I could get an Agilent 8562A good
to 22GHz.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

JW har bragt dette til verden:
wrote in Message id: :

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz with
a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

No thanks. For a little more money ($3K) I could get an Agilent 8562A good
to 22GHz.

So $3K is just a little more money than $1,295 ?

Nice to know your reference...

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id: :

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz with
a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

No thanks. For a little more money ($3K) I could get an Agilent 8562A good
to 22GHz.

So $3K is just a little more money than $1,295 ?

Nice to know your reference...

He's right, if he needs the extra coverage. Otherwise he has to buy
a bunch of other cheap gear. It is a real pain in the ass to have 50+
pieces of equipment on an 8' bench, a table & multiple equipment carts.
It lowers your productivity quite a bit, which will cost a lot more than
$3,000 over a year's time.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:28:51 +0100 Leif Neland wrote in
Message id: :

wrote in Message id: :

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz with
a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

No thanks. For a little more money ($3K) I could get an Agilent 8562A good
to 22GHz.

So $3K is just a little more money than $1,295 ?

Nice to know your reference...

In addition to what Michael said; When and if something goes wrong with
the HP, I have the complete set of service manuals with component level
information - I can fix it myself. Parts are plentiful for the HP as well.
What about the Rigol?

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id: :

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz with
a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

No thanks. For a little more money ($3K) I could get an Agilent 8562A good
to 22GHz.

So $3K is just a little more money than $1,295 ?

Nice to know your reference...

In addition to what Michael said; When and if something goes wrong with
the HP, I have the complete set of service manuals with component level
information - I can fix it myself. Parts are plentiful for the HP as well.
What about the Rigol?

By the time your Rigol breaks down, Ebay will be swamped with 'for
parts' units.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id: :

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz with
a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

No thanks. For a little more money ($3K) I could get an Agilent 8562A good
to 22GHz.

So $3K is just a little more money than $1,295 ?

Nice to know your reference...

In addition to what Michael said; When and if something goes wrong with
the HP, I have the complete set of service manuals with component level
information - I can fix it myself. Parts are plentiful for the HP as well.
What about the Rigol?

By the time your Rigol breaks down, Ebay will be swamped with 'for
parts' units.

All needing the same parts, or they wouldn't be on Ebay.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:58:53 -0500 "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote in Message id:
:

wrote in Message id: :

This is a moderately priced spectrum analyzer covering 9 kHz to 1.5 Ghz with
a tracking generator option.

If you do RF, check it out.

No affiliation with Rigol. None. Nada.

No thanks. For a little more money ($3K) I could get an Agilent 8562A good
to 22GHz.

So $3K is just a little more money than $1,295 ?

Nice to know your reference...

In addition to what Michael said; When and if something goes wrong with
the HP, I have the complete set of service manuals with component level
information - I can fix it myself. Parts are plentiful for the HP as well.
What about the Rigol?

By the time your Rigol breaks down, Ebay will be swamped with 'for
parts' units.

All needing the same parts, or they wouldn't be on Ebay.

Probably. I wouldn't be surprised if it consists of 1 or 2 circuit boards
loaded with all sorts of chips that cannot be removed economically (BGA,
etc.) by your average tech. And with no service data, you likely wouldn't
be able to figure out what needed replacing anyway.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id:
:

wrote in Message id: :

[...]

Very few can troubleshoot something like that, unless they have piles
of the same dead model, and excel in logical troubleshooting. I would
think it would be well under 1% of all electronics techs who would be
succesful.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id:
:

wrote in Message id: :

[...]

It seems you have very little experience with repairing equipment.
What breaks most often is the PSU, inputs or outputs. These are mostly
built around standard chips and easy to repair (especially true for
modern low and mid range equipment). If the logic gets defective it is
usually caused by the power supply going wrong. And then there are the
occasional bad solder joints but those are rare. All in all most
equipment can be serviced even without a service manual as long as you
think logically.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id:
:

wrote in Message id: :

[...]

You have'nt worked with much 'Lead Free' repairs, have you?
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:37:22 GMT (Nico Coesel) wrote in
Message id: :

wrote in Message id:
:

wrote in Message id: :

[...]

You'd be wrong in your assumption. I've probably repaired more test
equipment in my life than you've ever even seen. I worked for 3 years for
a fairly large used test equipment company (
www.techrecovery.com ) as
their only component level tech. When I realized I could make a whole lot
more money buying broken equipment, doing the repairs, and reselling on
Ebay, I left them.

ObShameless Plug:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/techman7734/...&_trksid=p3686

Although my stock is a bit low at the moment as in Jan and Feb I sold over
$25K worth of equipment, if anyone sees anything they like, I'd knock 10%
off on a private sale.

At this point there are several used equipment dealers who send their
stuff to *me* for repair.

What breaks most often is the PSU, inputs or outputs.

Of course.

These are mostly
built around standard chips and easy to repair (especially true for
modern low and mid range equipment). If the logic gets defective it is
usually caused by the power supply going wrong. And then there are the
occasional bad solder joints but those are rare. All in all most
equipment can be serviced even without a service manual as long as you
think logically.

Sometimes that is true, but many times not. I've seen just about
everything under the sun go wrong or bad. Likely because I've repaired
thousands of instruments.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id:
:

wrote in Message id: :

[...]

ObShameless Plug:http://www.ebay.com/sch/techman7734/...=1&_from=&_ipg...

Neat! Say the four channel Aglient 'scope 54831B for only ~$600 looks
like a steal. Is this 600MHz? Is there something wrong with it? (I
wonder if my wife will let me buy another 'scope?)

Re the Rigol: I think Dave did a tear down of it on his eevblog.

George H.

[...]

thousands of instruments.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id:
:

wrote in Message id: :

[...]

And you never seen a teardown of a Rigol scope :-)

a fairly large used test equipment company (
www.techrecovery.com ) as
their only component level tech. When I realized I could make a whole lot
more money buying broken equipment, doing the repairs, and reselling on
Ebay, I left them.

It seems the used equipment market is so much better at your end. I
recently restored a TDS544A but its hardly worth the effort from a
financial perspective. And I was extremely lucky someone offered a
working color CRT board for an absolute bargain. Perhaps it was the
shortest buy-it-now offering on Ebay ever :-)

These are mostly
built around standard chips and easy to repair (especially true for
modern low and mid range equipment). If the logic gets defective it is
usually caused by the power supply going wrong. And then there are the
occasional bad solder joints but those are rare. All in all most
equipment can be serviced even without a service manual as long as you
think logically.

Sometimes that is true, but many times not. I've seen just about
everything under the sun go wrong or bad. Likely because I've repaired
thousands of instruments.

I've done some repair work in the past but mostly the cases other
people couldn't fix. Nowadays I only fix equipment for my own use. Or
just convert the CRT or STN screens to TFT screens.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

JW wrote:

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:58:53 -0500 "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote in Message id:
:

Nico Coesel wrote:

ObShameless Plug:http://www.ebay.com/sch/techman7734/..._nkw=3D&_armr=

s=3D1&_from=3D&_ipg...

Neat! Say the four channel Aglient 'scope 54831B for only ~$600 looks
like a steal. Is this 600MHz? Is there something wrong with it? (I
wonder if my wife will let me buy another 'scope?)

That one caught my eye as well but if you read carefully the $600 will
get it 'upgraded' to Windows XP.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Re the Rigol: I think Dave did a tear down of it on his eevblog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY0acWrCYjw

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 19:49:16 GMT (Nico Coesel) wrote in
Message id: :

JW wrote:

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:37:22 GMT
(Nico Coesel) wrote in
Message id: :

JW wrote:

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:58:53 -0500 "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote in Message id:
m:

wrote in Message id: :

[...]

Nope - it doesn't interest me in the least. To be honest, I don't bother
with low-end stuff. For myself, I only do HP/Agilent, Tek, Keithley, and
Rohde and Schwarz. Although I will take in repair orders for other brands,
nobody has ever asked me to take a look at any Rigol equipment.

a fairly large used test equipment company (
www.techrecovery.com ) as
their only component level tech. When I realized I could make a whole lot
more money buying broken equipment, doing the repairs, and reselling on
Ebay, I left them.

It seems the used equipment market is so much better at your end. I
recently restored a TDS544A but its hardly worth the effort from a
financial perspective. And I was extremely lucky someone offered a
working color CRT board for an absolute bargain. Perhaps it was the
shortest buy-it-now offering on Ebay ever :-)

I don't bother with TDS500 or TDS64X series anymore. Got tired of changing
out all those leaky caps, washing boards, and hunting for open traces in
the ACQ boards. Tedious work! Although I think the 500D series of scopes
didn't have that problem.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 09:07:51 -0800 (PST) George Herold
wrote in Message id:
:

On Feb 28, 6:50*am, JW wrote:

[...]

ObShameless Plug:http://www.ebay.com/sch/techman7734/...=1&_from=&_ipg...

Neat! Say the four channel Aglient 'scope 54831B for only ~$600 looks
like a steal. Is this 600MHz? Is there something wrong with it? (I
wonder if my wife will let me buy another 'scope?)

There's nothing wrong with it, other than you needing to supply the scope.

The Military bought a lot of the 54831 (M) scopes, and they've been
hitting the surplus market in the last few years. However, when they
bought them they stipulated that the scopes come with Windows 98 (blech)
for some reason. Upgrading them to XP makes these scopes much more
desirable.