Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How to solder very thin stranded wire?

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:56:28 -0500, default wrote:

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 00:50:00 -0800, DaveC wrote:

Plan A: Find a short length of very fine uninsulated wire. A single
strand from some stranded wire is what I use. Wrap it around the
insulation about 2 times, and then continue wrapping around the tinsel
wire. Clip off the excess at the end. Solder the wrapped wire to the
replacement connector.

Sounds good.

Plan B: Buy a new iPod earphone. They're cheaper than the replacment
connector.

Not using it as earbuds. Just re-purposing the cord for a corded
single-earphone-with-mic unit. Have both, and am an avid "not to the landfill
will you go" kind of guy...

And beside, I'll learn something new (ie, soldering tinsel wire).

Dave

Another problem with very fine wire is that it dissolves in solder.

Is this for the same reason solder tips dissolve in solder (slowly).

I only use resin core, never acid core, and still the tips disappear
after years. I wouldn't mind except I had trouble finding new
screw-on tips a few years ago, because in the hobbyist-priced irons
they've gone back to screw-in tips.

They do make/sell solders with high copper content to deal with that.
Ersin "savebit" is one such (sold with the idea that soldering iron
bits will dissolve or erode more slowly if the solder already contains
copper.