Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default What's a good way to get rid of rain surface rust on tools left outside

On Feb 23, 2:29*am, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 00:33:01 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:47:19 -0800, Oren wrote:

Gosh. To much science involved for me. Use Navel Jelly I say :-\

Hi Oren,

Here is the short form of the explanation.

Naval jelly is plain old phosphoric acid (plus a wetting agent such
as plain old alcohol) which, when applied to my rusty tools, will
convert the rust to 'black powder', which I can then wash off.

Now I know how to clean up the rusty table where the tools lay:

1. Rust on the table
*http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12255674.jpg

2. Pool acid on the rust
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12255675.jpg