Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default What's a good way to get rid of rain surface rust on tools left outside

On Feb 22, 11:09*pm, "Danny D." wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:34:21 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd try wire brush and WD-40.

So the two answers were wire brush & phosphoric acid to remove the
rust, and then WD-40 as a rust preventive.

Speaking of rust preventive, do you generally put WD-40 on your
tools or just those that have been wire brushed?

Or can I substitute motor oil for WD-40 (I never understood WD-40).

I ask because I never oiled tools before also.

Is the oil needed because the wire brush removed a thin layer
of oxide?

I always use WD40 on tools when I put them away. Especially ones I use
infrequently.
Good for garden tools too.