Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_7_] Danny D.[_7_] is offline

Default What's a good way to get rid of rain surface rust on tools leftoutside

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 23:08:47 -0600, Doug wrote:

Just in case, is naval jelly sold in hardware stores?

Today I bought 16 fluid oz (about half a liter) of Naval Jelly at
Home Depot (in the paint department) for about $7.

Here is the URL to the same stuff (which is about 25% phosphoric acid):
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-1...3472/203009241

ACE Hardware also has it in stock for less than $10 a bottle.

Looking up sources of phosphoric acid, I see I can also buy 85% H3PO4
at about $13/Liter or $40/gallon (which makes a ton of naval jelly).
http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php...ng _id=17:30:

Here is another source of H3PO4 at $50/gallon:
http://www.interstateproducts.com/1_...er_pricing.htm

Here's a source of "Aqua Mix Phosphoric Acid Cleaner Substitute"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...624253-4972718
The MSDS says it's Urea, monohydrochloride 7-13%
http://www.ptsaquamix.com/index.php?...externalId=487
Hmm. I wonder if peeing will work on the rust!