Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_16_] Doug[_16_] is offline

Default What's a good way to get rid of rain surface rust on tools left outside

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 20:48:59 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 19:58:29 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:57:28 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 10:31:21 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Feb 22, 5:02*pm, "Danny D." wrote:
Toolbox was left outside for a couple of months (forgot about it).
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12252772.jpg

What's the best way to get this surface rust off?
*http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12252771.jpg

Do you just wipe and soak in oil?
Do you use a special formulation?

How do you generally handle surface rust on tools?

Steel wool and WD40

...and he would spend a week doing the task.

Naval Jelly has been around since before I was knee-high to a
grasshopper. Carpenters used it on hand saws to clean off rust, at
least the smart ones did. Then they oiled the saw blades. I'd agree
with the steel wool in 0 or 00 size.

Naval Jelly was bought buy Locktite and still available. The jelly is
a rust dissolver. I also use the same brand rust neutralizer -
different uses.

Less effort, better results.

You're correct. My dad was a old builder/carpenter and had naval
jelly around. I presume for the rust on tools? Gee, you're a
pretty smart fella except when it comes to guns grin.

I know my guns. And a tad about rust.

Guns are tools. I ran, controlled, issued and spent many hours in an
Armory making ammo. At least one of those guns shot two escapees in
the ass at ~ 100 yards, maybe one was just hit in the leg. Fun was I
modified at government expenses. 144mm Howitzers are a hoot to shoot.
Make me happy...

Doug, please do not confuse me with yourself about guns. You said
before you would stay out of gun talk, Here you are again - got cha!

My wife is a former range instructor in firearms, Shall we teach you?

No.

Now back on topic or closer to topic... I need to see if I have any
naval jelly around because I could use it right now. I see a bit of
rust on a bottom of a built in oven.

Just in case, is naval jelly sold in hardware stores? And I'll
probably need some heat resistant paint for touch up on the oven (if I
want to be picky about it).