Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default What's a good way to get rid of rain surface rust on tools left outside

"Danny D." wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:57:28 -0800, Oren wrote:

Naval Jelly

I wonder how it works.

I looked up naval jelly and it appears to be phosphoric acid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid
H3PO4
The phosphoric acid converts reddish-brown iron(III) oxide,
Fe2O3 (rust) to black ferric phosphate, FePO4
The black ferric-phosphate coating can be scrubbed off,
leaving a fresh metal surface.

Here is the Henkel MSDS:
http://www.henkelcamsds.com/pdf/5534...issolver.p df
Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver
Henkel Corporation, 32150 Just Imagine Drive, Avon, Ohio 44011
Telephone: 800-624-7767 (emergency 800-424-9300)
Phosphoric acid (CAS 7664-38-2) 10-30%
Phosphate ester 1-5%
Isopropyl alcohol (CAS 67-63-0) 1-5%
Polysaccharide 1-5%
Sulfuric acid (CAS 7664-93-9)0.1-1%
Water 50%
pH 1.5 - 2.5
Forms Hydrogen, by reaction with metals

The Loctite MSDS shows a slightly different composition:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/techdata-msds.shtml
Phosphoric acid (CAS 7664-38-2) 10-30%
2-Propanol (CAS 67-63-0 1-5%
Sulfuric acid (CAS 7664-93-9) 0.1% - 1%
Silicon dioxide (CAS 7631-86-9 ) 0.1% - 1%
Diiron trioxide (CAS 1309-37-1 ) 0.1% - 1%
Magnesium oxide (CAS 1309-48-4 ) 0.1% - 1%
Aluminum oxide, (CAS fibrous 1344-28-1 ) 0.1% - 1%
pH 1.5 - 2.5

The Loctite technical datasheet at the same location says
to brush it on metal, leave for 5 to 10 minutes, and wash off.

The Permatex version of naval jelly MSDS says:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61w2z5V6VMS.pdf
10 Columbus Blvd., Hartford, Connecticut 06106, 877-376-2839
Permatex Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver is an acid based
thixotropic liquid for dissolving rust on iron and steel surfaces.

Having read all this - I wonder if pool accid (muriatic acid,
hydrochloric acid) will work (since I already have lots of that)?

Googling ...

I don't think using acid is good at first. It would make a good last step
to get into holes. If you leave navel jelly on, it with start to build big
black marks, much like rust converter. I've done this on car rust spots. It
will not rust further once the conversion takes place. Yo can buy
phosphoric at the auto store. It's a paint prep.
Light rust can be taken off with scotchbrite and soapy water.

Greg