Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default What's a good way to get rid of rain surface rust on tools left outside

On Feb 22, 5:34*pm, "Danny D." wrote:

Looking up what else works, I see there is some discussion as
to whether hydrochloric acid (HCL) or muriatic pool acid would
work since HCl is used to pickle steel (and I have gallons of HCl):
*
Apparently Hydrochloric acid + iron yields iron chloride.

But, if you don't wash all the iron chloride out, water + iron chloride
in a warm environment will regenerate iron oxide (rust) + HCl.

I screwed up when I left the lid off a container of HCl setting on my
shop bench. Two days later when I went back in the shop the fumes had
caused every iron tool hanging on the pegboard to have a film of rust
similar to your toolbox. HCl never comes inside any more.