Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default What's a good way to get rid of rain surface rust on tools left outside

"Danny D." wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:34:21 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd try wire brush and WD-40.

So the two answers were wire brush & phosphoric acid to remove the
rust, and then WD-40 as a rust preventive.

Speaking of rust preventive, do you generally put WD-40 on your
tools or just those that have been wire brushed?

Or can I substitute motor oil for WD-40 (I never understood WD-40).

I ask because I never oiled tools before also.

Is the oil needed because the wire brush removed a thin layer
of oxide?

Seems that WD-40 is the word of choice for those that don't know any beter.
Cures moles, colds, and tight buttholes.

Motor oil is fine. Most any oil will do to keep the rust down. The oil
provides a barrier from the tool to the air and water. There is a product
made by LPS that is made to help prevent rust. I think it is called LPS2.

The best way is not to let the tools get wet, and wipe them down every year
or so if you do not use them very often.