Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_7_] Danny D.[_7_] is offline

Default What's a good way to get rid of rain surface rust on tools leftoutside

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 10:31:21 -0800, harry wrote:

Steel wool and WD40

warning ... RANDOM rust removal ideas follow ... / warning

Seems like the naval jelly & steel wool win out for removing the rust,
and then you guys add an oil (I'm not sure why WD-40 over any other oil).

Looking up what else works, I see there is some discussion as
to whether hydrochloric acid (HCL) or muriatic pool acid would
work since HCl is used to pickle steel (and I have gallons of HCl):
http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/22/21953.htm

Apparently Hydrochloric acid + iron yields iron chloride.

But, if you don't wash all the iron chloride out, water + iron chloride
in a warm environment will regenerate iron oxide (rust) + HCl.

On the other hand, phosphoric acid + iron yields iron phosphate, which,
even if you leave it on the metal, won't go back to iron oxide.

So the phosphoric acid is better than hydrochloric acid for rust removal.