Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_5_] Baron[_5_] is offline

Default Sennheiser G3 radio mic repair

N_Cook Inscribed thus:

Baron wrote in message
N_Cook Inscribed thus:

But it only takes one person to crack it and divulge to wwwland and
their competitive advantage is lost - strange old world

Too true !

Is there in enough facetting left in the TORX holes to grind down
an Allen key to near enough match to get enough purchase. Preceeded
by heating with a soldering iron a timed number of seconds,
gradually getting more adventurous with the seconds on repeated
attempts, after cooling off periods

Heating for a timed period is the way I would go. Ten to fifteen
seconds would be a good period. Though if thats what their own techs
do I wouldn't worry too much. On the other hand their own techs will
have access to spares should they damage anything.

Drilling out is likely to heat up anyway in a less controllable
way. If you do drill out use a left hand drill bit (if unavailable
from an engineering supplier then regrind a normal one with the
other set/rake) and left hand action drill

Oww ! Trying to regrind a drill that small is going to be a major
pain in the butt... !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

No great precision required as long as used in conjuction with a left
hand drive . Its not so much for drilling out
the screw but just biting into the metal enough at some point to grab
the metal and then along with the localised heating produced, the
screw magically undoes itself.

I remember many many years ago the foreman giving me a drill, telling me
it needed sharpening and instructing me to drill some holes in a piece
of plate...

Some time passed before it dawned on me... a left hand drill !
(insert your own cuss words here)

PS. 50 years later, I still have that 6mm drill to remind me !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.