Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 06:52:28 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
wrote:

On Feb 21, 6:12*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 07:08:59 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
...snip...
Hear, hear on the closed storage in a kitchen. and simple surfaces.
Glass doors allow both the cleaning AND the contents' views.

Glass doors are harder to keep clean than stainless appliances, which
you seem to hate (below).

Stay away from stainless steel appliances - TOO DIFFICULT TO KEEP
CLEAN LOOKING.

Not all stainless is the same. *Our 'fridge is pretty easy to keep
clean. *Other appliances (contractor stuff hasn't been replaced yet),
not so much.
... snip....

After fighting with various commercially available compounds, my wife
discovered that the best cleaner for stainless steel of almost all
types was ...Dial sanitizing liquid hand soap. Rubbed on and wiped dry
actually polished to a sparkling beautiful finish. But alas someone
changed the product and it doesn't work well now.

My wife found some wipes that work really well on stainless. They're
expensive but I was amazed how well they polished the sink (I lived in
the house six months before she moved - she gets the honors now ;-).

She gave up cleaning any glass surface. Windex streaked and streaked
and streaked. However, I found Walmart brand of glass cleaner provides
a great sprayer at $1.88 and the product cleans well and doesn't
streak. Unless dries before removal. And of course, use cheap paper
towels, else there are usually some type of lotion or such in them
that streaks too. To check if a paper towel has 'additives' in it?
Simply pour bleach on it. If it gets warm, or hot enough to burn you,
it has additives that will streak when you clean.

I don't have a problem with Windex but it does have to be taken off
before it dries. A last swipe with a little Windex on a paper towel
takes the last bit of streaks off. Watch the paper towels, though.
Some of the pretty printing dissolves in Windex and makes a mess of
paint. DAMHIKT.

After fighting SS cleaners, my wife has delegated me to be the
custodian of all the glass and stainless steel cleaning in our home. I
finally found the BEST cleaner ever! Clean well then ONLY clean with
distilled water and cheap paper towels. Squeegee the bathroom mirrors
in 20 seconds DONE! Inside/outside windows? Take about a minute each.
I tell you distilled water is a MIRACLE product. Alas, it 'almost'
works on SS kitchen apliances. Front surfaces stay cleaned for about a
month. But, the fridge doors are a constant battle. We don't touch the
SS with hands to prevent human oil blotting their surfaces, but even
that doesn't work well. Have to clean that !@#@$#%^@$ !!!! fridge
almost everyday. Shouldn't say clean, mean polish.

Interesting. I'll have to try it. It does make sense.

The manufacturers have solved the countertop problem with granite -
robust and hides crumbs. But, they really need to work on finding a
surface for appliances. Probably find some aerospace material works,
like carbon composite with laminated granite?

Like I said, our appliances don't show finger prints at all. There
seems to be an oleophobic coating on them (the non-contractor grade
ones).