Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:30:33 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Existential Angst" wrote in message

Really, I promise, I'll keep it simple from now on, right outta
Strunk'n'White.....
--
EA

The teacher of my very bright and ambitious high school English class
cautioned us not to write like e.e.cummings unless we WERE e.e.cummings.
She reminded us that Picasso had mastered the classical painting style
before developing his own.
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/p/picasso/self1.jpg
http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/...arly-Work.html

You are absolutely correck. Most people don't know just HOW good Picasso
was, from a traditional pov.... stunning.

The only exception she tolerated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams_(composer)

But, correct as you are in the above, you DO see the obvious flaw in your
implied admonition, right?

My God, I'm going to be sorry I did this, but....

If you get a really good painter/illustrator drunk, especially a
teacher, you'll find that the disdain for Picasso's drawing and
traditional painting talents is more common than not. He couldn't
handle drapery; his poses were awkward; his perspectives were unreal.

That's not to say he wasn't a great artist. But his skills as a
draughtsman were problematic. He got a lot of attention for his skills
as a child because of his father.

Compare the fabrics and the poses in Picasso's "pre-abstract" work,
like the first five or so of these:

http://www.abcgallery.com/P/picasso/picasso.html

....with those of a superb draughtsman, like Rob Howard:

http://artbootcamp.com/index.php/the-team/rob-howard/

Look at the fabrics ("Barry White" is intentionally abstracted). Look
at the poses. Although these are small images, I'd say look at the
facial details, too (somewhere I have a huge image of "The Bride," but
I can't find it at the moment; I think the original is 30" x 40" or
so).

Again, I'm not commenting about artistry. But any art dufus, like me,
can see the relative levels of draughting skills. And the art volk I
used to know in NYC said the same thing.

Rob is a hell of a good shot with a rifle, too, BTW. g

Now please ignore this diversion and carry on...

--
Ed Huntress

Which was evident in your prior use of the word
"talent"
Unless you can identify exactly WHO it is I'm trying to imitate, none of
this applies!

Dood, ahm just havin fun.... it's USENET, fergodsakes....
That a few assholes here decided to jump on some bull**** etiquette
bandwagon, and ig the real design issues being raised, speaks volumes. And
I'm certainly surprised by *your* vault onto this bull**** bandwagon..

Again, if anyone really had difficulty with the op, they better get some
tutoring, bec if my li'l syntactical/grammatical dalliances have them this
confused and bent out of shape, they are *really* insecure in the basics..