Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Augmented Reality modeling

That's your second attempt at a definition ... your first one was wrong,

then?

So, according to your above, and despite their technology being precisely

identical in either case, if AR-Media's example would have been a Care Bear

instead of a house, it would have been "AR", but, since they chose the

house in that instance to sell their Sketchup plugin, it is no longer the

same technology?

Wow ... are technologist really that nitpicking these days?

I was just wasting time here and won't be going on any crusade to correct

anyone beyond these comments. I just don't like seeing new technologies

terms being co-opted and misrepresented. It's like those HD sunglasses

you can buy. Just co-opting the HD concept to sell some crappy yellow sunglasses.

Happy horse ****, is happy horse **** ... and nitpicking and conflicting

definitions, instead of "correcting" anyone, looks more like someone

doesn't really understand it themselves?

Whoa is me. Why doesn't the world instantly recognize my brilliance?

The underlying technology is 3D display. One implementation is AR. This implementation is a classic case of a technology Vertical Integration. In this integration a Horizontal technology (3D display in this case) is integrated into various vertical markets or needs. In this case 3D display can be used to Augment Reality. It can also be used to spin a sketchup model in a random location. Spinning a reduced sized 3D image of a thing in random space is not AR. Placing a properly scaled and located 3D displayed item into a real world scene is AR.

My next lecture will be on 3D transformations and their 3x3 and 4x4 martix representations.