Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

clipped
So I can actually make a "themed" kitchen of open/enclosed storage, in a
variety of textures, from anodized to brushed to polished (SS-like) alum..

Has anyone grappled with this aspect of design, closed vs. open storage?
Any web sites that deal with this, and the notion of "strategy"?

I had one kitchen that was quite large but had very little cabinet
space. I was also buying antiques at the time and had a 50" round oak
table, a bakers cabinet (sans flour sifter) with bin drawers and a pie
safe. I used decorated tins for storing food stuff; they were cheap and
sturdy. Glass cannisters (Walmart still carries the same style), and
glass jars with plastic seals for stuff like beans, rice. Food makes a
decent display theme and I like stuff at hand. That said, I would never
use open shelves in a kitchen unless it was for something used
daily...too dusty and greasy.

The problem with (traditional) kitchen design is that there are no
do-overs -- you are essentially stuck with the whole shebang.
One thing I learnt with all this granite bull**** is that what looks good
in a showroom or sample book may not fare so well over time, when yer eyes
are just SATURATED with these visually complex granite patterns, which
actually become otically numbing after a while, and do a good job of HIDING
dirt, spills, grease, etc.

I've never been a fan of granite...good old practical Formica is fine.
One mistake, in choosing a stone-pattern Formica was that it was hard to
tell when there were crumbs on it. Good disguise )

I learned this by raiding the dumpster of my local granite guy, who allowed
me to take substantial pieces of granite, silestone, marble, which I spread
throughout the existing kitchen as trial countertops. We realized that you
had to be *really* careful in your choices, and that most choices would be
regretted. We realized that if going the granite et al route, a single
color/pattern would become visually oppressive.

Thusly, I have also come up with a design of anodized alum plate
countertops, covered by simple 1/4" beveled glass. Or, for that matter,
butcherblock-type motif, covered by 1/4" glass. If the glass ever breaks,
cracks, no biggie, go to the glass store. Really a lot of design potential
there. And economy.
**** Granite.

Anodized alum would probably scratch. Glass would be insane for
countertops. Out of necessity, we used it for backsplash above our
cooktop and I loved it...pressed pattern glass with the smooth side out
was super easy to clean, and solid laminate behind it. Could put any
pattern of laminate or ?wallpaper, or colored glass. No tile grout for
me. The backsplash was sealed all around so no gunk or steam behind it...

Lastly, ito enclosures (cabinets), there is the notion of see-through or
translucence of the doors. The leaded-glass effect is very nice, and can
also be facilitated in a gantry mill, in wood or in 1/4" alum plate.

I have suddenly, in my old age, craved simplicity...not a lot of
decoration, smooth front cabinets that are easy to clean and DURABLE.
My cupboards are never arranged so I would want the contents visible.
If I had elegant dishes and glassware, and loads of space, maybe.

The Q is how to sift thru all of this.
Oh, yeah, a bit of a hard sell to the Wife.... LOL
Thoughts, idears, experiences?

A lot depends on how you use the kitchen...cook three meals a day for a
family, eat out a lot, gourmet cooking, entertain a lot and want the
company in kitchen whilst cooking?

My present kitchen is small but very well organized and easy to work in.
I have crocks on the counter for utensils and measuring spoons and
stuff. Corner lazy susan is a must. Window above sink, very bright
during day but lousy lighting at night...hate cfl bulbs.