Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

Existential Angst wrote:

So the Q is, How to apportion trad'l cabinetry, with open shelving?

Logically, open for stuff that is used with great frequency, cabinets - or a
pantry - for the rest.

Lastly, ito enclosures (cabinets), there is the notion of see-through
or translucence of the doors. The leaded-glass effect is very nice,
and can also be facilitated in a gantry mill, in wood or in 1/4" alum
plate.

Undeniably, glass can be attractive. Also indeniably, it seems to be a
magnet for grease, streaks, dust and assorted crud.

My own feeling re a kitchen - or any workspace - are that it should minimize
the effort to use it. That means thought about where things are placed and
the amount of space between them. It also means easy accessibility to the
tools.

How many people will be working in it at the same time? If just one, you
need about 36" minimum for aisles; 42" is better, more than 48" and you are
wasting space. If more than one, I would think 60" or a bit more would be
about right.

The things that are used in a particular area need to be convenient to that
area; eg, pots/pans/skillets should be accesible to the stove area, not
require traipsing across the kitchen to get one. Dish cabinets should be
very near the sink or diswasher. I know that seems fundamental but I've
seen many instances of it not being considered.

Again personally, I don't like frame and panel cabinet doors in a kitchen
for the same reason I wouldn't like glass...the edges attract crud and are
hard to clean. When I built ours I made full overlay, solid wood doors.
The edges are rounded but no other profiles to catch dust.

Getting back to open shelves vs cabinets, I think a lot would depend upon
the people involved; if they are willing to dust/clean very frequently, open
shelves could be nice; if not - we are not - I would eschew them in favor of
cabinets.

I'm pretty much with you on the granite but not with glass on top of
something else. My only experience with same was a glass covered dining
table in a rented apartment when we were living in Mexico. It was a
pain...any spilled liguid wicked underneath; assorted crumbs and crud
managed to find a way under.

BTW & FWIW, your posts would be more readable without the folksy spellings.

--

dadiOH