Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

On Feb 21, 8:10*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
( RCM-ers.... *skip down to the alum. plate section)
(RW peeple -- stop whining..... yeah, I know, it's not wood, it's anti-wood,
deal with it)

Awl --

Since ahm fixin up m'shop, The Wife is REALLY bitching about her kitchen.....
tit for tat, I spose.... *no pun intended.... *but an excellent pun, eh??
LOL

With a hypocrisy worthy of the basest politician, I'm going thru the HD
kitchen design route (or at least the motions), *mostly to get familiar with
the "process" of "new kitchening", not necessarily to actually let them do
it. *My fillings are already hurting....

Inyway, sumpn is not right in KitchenDee-zineLand...... *'sall beautiful,
'sall archy-tecky, but sumpn is just not right.

Stunning as all this HGTV stuff is (more like culinary dick-waving), I'll
bet that only 1 out of a 100 of these McMansion kitchens are actually used
to do any real cooking. *I'm betting that with alladat 1.25" granite all
over the place, the ****ty li'l brats run in and toaster-up their PopTarts,
and everyone else is re-microwaving yesterday's KFC and pizza.....

Oh, and old news: *alladis**** is SUPER expensive..... **gratuitously*
expensive (and complicated), in my deezine opinion.

This notion solidified when I happened on, iirc, a NYTimes-ish profile of a
big-dick chef and his SoHo-ish home/loft kitchen, where I was struck by just
how non-archy-tecky it was, yet a thoroughly functional and very
funky-attractive kitchen.... *a REAL kitchen??
* Nothing matched in it, none of this bull**** HGTV ""design"", altho he was
blessed with very high ceilings (*at least* 12 ft, it seemed), and a goodly
large space.

Dats when my inkling that HGTV was 99% fulla**** changed to 100% fulla****.