Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_5_] Baron[_5_] is offline

Default Sennheiser G3 radio mic repair

Gareth Magennis Inscribed thus:

Hi,
just wondered if anyone has successfully been inside a Sennheiser
ew100 G3 radio
mic.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_...FabLtAodI3AA-w

I've repaired quite a few G2 and G1 mics, these are relatively easy to
dismantle, and replace the SMD on/off tactile switch that usually gets
broken.

The G3 is different in that it has 2 x tiny T4 Torx bolts either side
of the sharkfin aerial you need to undo, to release the electronics.
Someone had previously had a go at these and partially rounded the
heads, and I found them extraordinarily difficult to remove.
I got one off, but I stupidly further damaged the other one, which
will now require drilling out as the Torx is now a rounded hole.

I phoned Sennheiser and spoke to a Service Tech.
Apparently these Torx bolts are glued in - he said so as to avoid
cross threading them, which I didn't quite understand, or perhaps
misinterpreted. You need to heat them up first, he said.

He further said that the on/off switch was not replaceable anyway, you
need to replace a whole section instead.
(This mic does not turn on)

I don't know why Sennheiser have decided to make these so difficult to
repair.
(But I can guess)

Now wise after the event, next time I get one in I will buy a proper
T4 screwdriver.

I wasn't sure what size these screws actually are, just smaller than
the proper T5 screwdriver I have, so I bought a cheap set of ebay
mobile phone Torx drivers to find out.
These are jeweller type things, and too thin and soft to get enough
torque on these incredibly stiff bolts.
I shouldn't have attempted the removal of damaged bolts with this
unsuitable
crappy tool, but was impatient. Doh!

I will also have to suss out a way of heating the bolts to soften the
glue - all around is plastic, so I though perhaps inserting the Torx
screwdriver into the head and heating the screwdriver blade?

Gareth.

Use a soldering iron !

--
Best Regards: