Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default simple security device for window

On 20 Feb, 21:25, John Williamson
wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , stuart noble
writes
On 20/02/2013 21:06, fred wrote:

These are good:

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/...Window_Stop_SA
_822_52_SA.html

As the window opens, the lower sash covers the bottom part of the plate
which strengthens the retention of the stop if the window is forced.

Ditch the screws they come with, they are too weedy, I think I used 1
1/4" x 10 or possibly 12 to make them a bit more secure.

Always fit in pairs.

With respect to your friend I wouldn't leave any windows open when a
place is unoccupied, whatever the security fitted. IMO it attracts the
attention of thieves and once they take an interest they will find a way
in.

+1.

Stops are easily overcome by forcing the sashes apart, and a pinned bead
is all that prevents the inner sash moving

So don't just pin the beads?

That's fine, except that you'd need to force your way past whatever was
holding them in place in the event of having to do any maintenance, such
as replacing the sash cords. This would probably severely damage the
frame, necessitating new windows...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.