Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default simple security device for window

On 20/02/2013 21:06, fred wrote:
In article , Dave West
writes
Someone with a basement flat with old wooden frame vertical sliding sash
windows wants some simple to fit security device to enable the window
to be
left open safely a couple of inches whilst no one is in the flat.

Grateful for an suggestions on a simple to fit device.

These are good:

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/...822_52_SA.html

As the window opens, the lower sash covers the bottom part of the plate
which strengthens the retention of the stop if the window is forced.

Ditch the screws they come with, they are too weedy, I think I used 1
1/4" x 10 or possibly 12 to make them a bit more secure.

Always fit in pairs.

With respect to your friend I wouldn't leave any windows open when a
place is unoccupied, whatever the security fitted. IMO it attracts the
attention of thieves and once they take an interest they will find a way
in.

Stops are easily overcome by forcing the sashes apart, and a pinned bead
is all that prevents the inner sash moving