Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Augmented Reality modeling

On Monday, February 18, 2013 6:07:57 AM UTC-8, Swingman wrote:
Been watching this development in 3D modeling for the past year.

Won't be long before you'll be able to sit down at your Sketchup modeled

table to test how suitable it is for breakfast ... just a matter of scale:

Hmmm, your description would be more correct than how they are using "mis-using" the term Augmented Reality. In my day job I work in an industry where my products provide content for and interact with true AR systems and I have contact with the top researchers in this field. The common understanding of augmented reality is to add new items into an existing reality.

The typical usage is to put on a pair of glasses or headset of some sort. Then look around, walk around the room you are in and see new items augmented into the scene. So your table example is perfect. You should be able to look down and see the table in the room. Walk around it, etc.

What they are showing is more like a hologram or 3D heads up display or something.