Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default How to recycle old Reel to Reel tapes?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:54:23 -0500, "Steven L."
wrote:

On 2/19/2013 11:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd list them for sale on Ebay. Some old audiophile out there might get a
bit of pleasure.

In fact, there are dozens of such reel to reel music tapes that are
being offered for sale on EBay.

Of course, old reel to reel tape recorders are also being offered for
sale there.

People do seem to be selling them. I guess I can try that. Mostly the
7" reels that I have are concert radio broadcasts or stuff like that.
The reels held up very well, mostly Maxell. I'm generally copying them
onto a hard drive prior to getting rid of them and there is very
little residue ending up on the heads so they don't seem to be
degrading. And all are at least 20 years old.

What is particularly interesting is that people seem to be getting
hundreds of dollars for old master and safety reels. I have quite a
few of those (10") that I once salvaged from a recording studio that
went out of business. I picked through them and kept the ones that had
stuff on them that I recognized. Something like 20 takes of "Walk On
By" and old Murray the K promo spots. Those probably are worth money.
I guess I'd better get busy.