Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default How to recycle old Reel to Reel tapes?

I'm getting rid of a few hundred old 7" reels of recording tape.
Anyone have an idea how to do it outside of just throwing them out? I
don't care about security, it's just old music. They are heavy though.
It seems wasteful to just dump them out in bags but I don't have a
much better idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dgk" wrote in message

I'm getting rid of a few hundred old 7" reels of recording tape.
Anyone have an idea how to do it outside of just throwing them out? I
don't care about security, it's just old music. They are heavy though.

In our part of the world, city halls provide this information. Not many
plastic materials more than 20 years old are accepted for recycling.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:

I'm getting rid of a few hundred old 7" reels of recording tape.
Anyone have an idea how to do it outside of just throwing them out?

Put a free ad on kijiji.com under the city that you're located in (or
the closest city that the list to where you are).

Take at least 1 picture of a few of the reels. Post your offer as
"free" and you will get at least a dozen offers within 24 hours of
people willing to take them off your hands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd list them for sale on Ebay. Some old audiophile out there might get a
bit of pleasure.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"dgk" wrote in message
I'm getting rid of a few hundred old 7" reels of recording tape.
Anyone have an idea how to do it outside of just throwing them out? I
don't care about security, it's just old music. They are heavy though.
It seems wasteful to just dump them out in bags but I don't have a
much better idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:
I'm getting rid of a few hundred old 7" reels of recording tape.
Anyone have an idea how to do it outside of just throwing them out? I
don't care about security, it's just old music. They are heavy though.
It seems wasteful to just dump them out in bags but I don't have a
much better idea.

freecycle them.
www.freecycle.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2013 9:44 AM, dgk wrote:

I'm getting rid of a few hundred old 7" reels of recording tape.
Anyone have an idea how to do it outside of just throwing them out? I
don't care about security, it's just old music. They are heavy though.
It seems wasteful to just dump them out in bags but I don't have a
much better idea.

Post a message on Prison Plant and other conspiracy/paranoid nutjob
sites, starting with,

"My grandma, Rose Mary Woods, passed away a few years ago and we're
only now getting around to cleaning out her things. We found a bunch
of old reel-to-reel tapes...."

(You'll know you're old if you get the reference.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2013 11:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd list them for sale on Ebay. Some old audiophile out there might get a
bit of pleasure.

In fact, there are dozens of such reel to reel music tapes that are
being offered for sale on EBay.

Of course, old reel to reel tape recorders are also being offered for
sale there.

--
Steven L.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 3:08*pm, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 2/19/2013 9:44 AM, dgk wrote:

I'm getting rid of a few hundred old 7" reels of recording tape.
Anyone have an idea how to do it outside of just throwing them out? I
don't care about security, it's just old music. They are heavy though.
It seems wasteful to just dump them out in bags but I don't have a
much better idea.

Post a message on Prison Plant and other conspiracy/paranoid nutjob
sites, starting with,

"My grandma, Rose Mary Woods, passed away a few years ago and we're
only now getting around to cleaning out her things. We found a bunch
of old reel-to-reel tapes...."

(You'll know you're old if you get the reference.)

You're giving away your age also unless you are a Watergate nut post
Watergateg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 11:07*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'd list them for sale on Ebay. Some old audiophile out there might get a
bit of pleasure.

Real audiophiles know magnetic tape decays.

Which of course is irrelevant, lots of tin ears think they're
audiophiles, usually based on the equipment they own.
-----

- gpsman
Senior Member

I did a bit of digging, and I found out a bit about magnetic recording tape.

Magnetic recording tape made since the early 1960's is made of Mylar coated with iron oxide particles.

"Mylar", in turn, is simply DuPont's trade name for a kind of polyester film made out of a plastic called "polyethylene terephthalate", or PET for short.

And, PET plastic is what plastic soft drink bottles are made of.

So, if your old magnetic recording tapes were made after about 1965, they would be right at home in a recycling bin full of empty soft drink bottles.

If you don't know when the tapes were made, hold them up to the light. Tapes made prior to the early 1960's will more likely be made of cellulose acetate. Light will shine through cellulose acetate magnetic recording tape.

Cellulose acetate is what cigarette filters are made of, and it's a non-biodegradable. Cellulose acetate is not recyclable either because a commercially feasible process for recycling the stuff hasn't been developed yet. So, if the tapes are cellulose acetate, and if you can't give them away, your only real option is to dump them in the garbage.

Last edited by nestork : February 20th 13 at 08:26 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:54:23 -0500, "Steven L."
wrote:

On 2/19/2013 11:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd list them for sale on Ebay. Some old audiophile out there might get a
bit of pleasure.

In fact, there are dozens of such reel to reel music tapes that are
being offered for sale on EBay.

Of course, old reel to reel tape recorders are also being offered for
sale there.

People do seem to be selling them. I guess I can try that. Mostly the
7" reels that I have are concert radio broadcasts or stuff like that.
The reels held up very well, mostly Maxell. I'm generally copying them
onto a hard drive prior to getting rid of them and there is very
little residue ending up on the heads so they don't seem to be
degrading. And all are at least 20 years old.

What is particularly interesting is that people seem to be getting
hundreds of dollars for old master and safety reels. I have quite a
few of those (10") that I once salvaged from a recording studio that
went out of business. I picked through them and kept the ones that had
stuff on them that I recognized. Something like 20 takes of "Walk On
By" and old Murray the K promo spots. Those probably are worth money.
I guess I'd better get busy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 8:36*am, dgk wrote:
I picked through them and kept the ones that had
stuff on them that I recognized. Something like 20 takes of "Walk On
By" and old Murray the K promo spots. Those probably are worth money.
I guess I'd better get busy.

Then you may be holding irreplaceable history, which completely
changes things. I'd try to find someone who knows what you've got
before I'd rush to sell.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Moe DeLoughan, Jinga wrote:
The gap!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-737320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

If still have them...god I would love to have them. Been replacing my machine and now need the reels. My estranged older brother stole machine and my reels. Some have me singing. I lost my voice due to my disability and he tells me to go (you know what). Almost died 5 times (within a couple of hours but, Grim Reaper can kiss my butt..lol). I live in Canada.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had tons of slate albums. Shot them up at a rifle range. What a dick I was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to garylatendresse, Bonnie wrote:
Do you still need reels

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-737320-.htm