Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default dialup issues

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:30:59 -0800 (PST), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

I was
surprised that they would have no way to assess dialup capabilities of
a pots line. They must have to do this for DSL don't they? So why
couldn't they assess dialup? Lenny

Locally, the DSL and POTS installers carry an Acterna/JDSU HST-3000
telecom tester. I used to have one (until it was stolen) so I'm
rather familiar with what it can do. Ethernet testing is built into
the base unit. There are plugins for various line types, including
POTS, ADSL, ADSL2+, T1, VoIP, fiber, and V.34 (33.6K) modems. However,
I don't think they have a V.42bis plugin (not sure). Whether the
installer actually knows how to use the tester is another horror
story. I've seen both extremes.
http://www.jdsu.com/en-us/Test-and-Measurement/Products/a-z-product-list/Pages/hst-3000.aspx?rcode=hst

Some of the DSL data of my friends and customers from this tester:
http://dsl.11junk.com

Sniff.... I miss my tester.

--
Jeff Liebermann