Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default dialup issues

klem kedidelhopper wrote:

The lady from telephone repair called me back this morning and told me
they will be coming out to my house tomorrow to do "some rewiring". I
asked if they'll need to get into my house to do this, (just to be
sure I knew what she was talking about) and she said no. I then asked
the 64,000 dollar question. "Will there be a charge for this"? And
again it was no. "They will be working on the wires on the road" I was
told. I'm assuming this means a different, (and hopefully better cable
pair). Interestingly she asked if I would be home. She said that
although I didn't have to be, there would be no way that the
technician would be able to tell if my dialup was improved unless we
plugged my laptop into the interface while he was there. I was
surprised that they would have no way to assess dialup capabilities of
a pots line. They must have to do this for DSL don't they? So why
couldn't they assess dialup? Lenny

They use test equipmet made to test phone lines. Usually a TDR, and
maybe a BER testset.