Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default dialup issues

On Feb 19, 1:09*am, josephkk wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 19:09:20 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 18:22:31 -0800, josephkk
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 22:10:47 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 00:29:42 -0500, micky
wrote:

What's the quiet line?

If you hear buzz, clicks, hummmmm, noise, crackly, etc on the phone,
the first step is to determine whether it's a problem at the CO
(central office), on the line, or somewhere in the inside wiring. *To
eliminate the inside wiring, simply plug the tester into the NIU
(demarc), thus disconnecting the house wiring. *To determine if it's
coming from the switch at the CO, dial a quiet line number. *All it
does is terminate the call to a perfect dummy load, that does NOT go
through the switch. *If the noise disappears, it's coming from
somewhere inside the CO. *If it's still there, it's on the line
somewhere.

Does every phone company have this? *Does
Verizon?

Yes, yes, and I don't know the Verizon number.

Please provide any number that you know. *I am willing to bet that it is
industry standard.
?-)

How much would you like to bet? *The ANAC, ANI, DAMT, quiet line,
milliwatt tone, etc test numbers vary between locations, CO's, type of
switch, and companies. *Same with quiet line numbers, security, test
equipment, procedures, and standards. *AT&T is fairly standardized
throughout the system. *I don't have a clue what Verizon does as
everything I work with locally uses AT&T.

However, if you want numbers to abuse, this might help.
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=583069
It's 10 year old, but looks accurate.

Please send my winnings to the address below.

Thanks. *You warned me that they vary.

?-)

The lady from telephone repair called me back this morning and told me
they will be coming out to my house tomorrow to do "some rewiring". I
asked if they'll need to get into my house to do this, (just to be
sure I knew what she was talking about) and she said no. I then asked
the 64,000 dollar question. "Will there be a charge for this"? And
again it was no. "They will be working on the wires on the road" I was
told. I'm assuming this means a different, (and hopefully better cable
pair). Interestingly she asked if I would be home. She said that
although I didn't have to be, there would be no way that the
technician would be able to tell if my dialup was improved unless we
plugged my laptop into the interface while he was there. I was
surprised that they would have no way to assess dialup capabilities of
a pots line. They must have to do this for DSL don't they? So why
couldn't they assess dialup? Lenny