Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default dialup issues

Leif Neland wrote:
I assume you mean the box down the road is alerting, not your
individual dsl boxes in the homes.

Yes, BUT. The router I have is roughly equivalent to a 2005
computer in terms of processor capability, RAM, offline storage
(ROM), IO (one USB port, 4 ethernet ports, one VDSL modem, one 802.11n
multichannel access point).

It can run three virtual internet sessions for tunneling, two for me,
one for a separate public network.

It can provide a disk server or a print server via the USB.

I expect it can't send SMSs because it has no cellular connection, but it
may well be able to use a channel on the DSL line private to the phone
company for sending trouble tickets, etc.

the box down the road is monitored from the central office,
where it is decided when an anomaly is turned into a ticket, and when
it is decided the problem is fixed, the sms'es are sent.

Probably.

I don't think the box down the corner has any "free will" to generate
sms'es.

I don't know. My asterisk system has a cellular modem used as a phone
so I can receive and make calls and SMSs over the cellular network.
It can send me SMS's on its own.

Or to be more accurate, it COULD if I had anything programmed to triger
them. What I do have is set of PERL programs that run on a different
computer and when I run them, ssh into the asterisk system to send SMSs.

The other way, the asterisk system receives the SMS and emails it to me.

Note that some routers have USB ports programmed to connect to the cellular
network with modem sticks. I also have one of those used for emergency
backup.

I assume you could run DD-WRT on them and a stripped down Asterisk system
which could send SMS's based upon pre-programmed conditions (but not
free will, as in "I'm lonely. Please log into me".

Geoff.
Gung Hay Fat Choy! (May the new year be prosperous).