Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Screw (ed)

On 2/17/13 9:07 AM, Leon wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
"Gramp's shop" wrote in news:effd5331-4ba2-44a6-9a68-
:

The woodworkers show was in town today and I brought one of the broken screws and a

sample to get some opinions from the graybeards. Here's what they had to say:

1. Square drive screws don't allow the driver to slip off -- like
philips head -- when the screw

is tight leading to breakage if I overtighten.
2. Screw should be lubed -- soap or wax.

Wax only, never soap. Soap will absorb water from ambient humidity, which promotes
corrosion of the screw.

Not to mention the water that is in the soap to begin with..

And don't even think about putting a screw into oak. It'll ruin your
life.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)