Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Bill is offline

Default House insurance and burglar alarms

In message , charles
writes
In article , ARW
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

And I have decent neighbours who wouldn't just ignore it.

And that is the key to a good alarm. I have fitted several alarms on my
street - both nextdoor neighbours and the neighbours opposite would
respond if my alarm went off just as I would if theirs went off. I
always tell them when I am working away and they do keep an eye on my
house.

You can have good neighbours and idiot neighbours. When we were burgled
for the first time, our next door neighbour (who was local secretary for
Neighbourhood Watch) heard the breaking glass and breaking wood (a window
was jemmied open) and decided - without investigating - that it was me
cutting a tree down. This, despite the fact it was 4pm on a working day and
both of us worked normal hours.

A neighbour of mine watched as 2 guys loaded £15,000:00 of aluminium
onto a flat bed truck that they had parked in my drive one weekday
afternoon. He said something to the effect that they seemed to be good,
fast workers. Yes, I bet they were!! He is a local councillor and
supposedly intelligent.

At another property a very elderly neighbour, lovely old girl, said that
the guy who had attempted to break in was a nice guy, apparently he had
waved and said hello to her as he walked down the garden path to the
back of the house. Nice guy, but a naff burglar, he couldn't even force
open a 1930s vintage wooden patio door!

--
Bill