Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default House insurance and burglar alarms

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 22:11:11 +0000, Peter Parry wrote:

Also bear in mind police forces do not, as a matter of policy,
react to bells only alarm as over 99% are false alarms. If a
neighbour phones the police and reports an alarm activation they
will be referred to the local council noise abetment unit. Only if
they phone and say the alarm has gone off and they can see someone
eventually.

My old boss, and ex copper once told me that you shouldn't tell the
police that you can see people in the house ... they'll take ages to
turn up. As he said "Why would anyone turn up if there's a chance of
getting hurt." ?

They turned up pretty quickly when me an a mate interrupted a breakin at a
chemists late one night. The getaway driver bottled it and drove off, the
guy outside the chemist ran off over the fields and we captured the guy that
was inside the chemists. It was probably the most stupid thing that I have
ever done. We fought with with the guy (and that included pushing fingers
very hard into his eyes and throttling him) before we managed to restrain
him. When the police turned up and arrested him a knife dropped out of the
sleeve of his jumper - that sobered me up, but not sober enough for the
police to take a statement - they had to take one the next day.

--
Adam