Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default House insurance and burglar alarms

"harry" wrote in message
On Feb 15, 8:21 pm, Mathew Newton
wrote:
On Friday, February 15, 2013 7:01:05 PM UTC,
wrote:
About 10 times more likely to be burgled without an alarm according to
some
stats.

What, those provided by security companies? ;-)

I thought this made interesting reading:

http://www.straightstatistics.org/ar...alarming-claim

'The good news is that while homes with no basic home security had a 5.8
per cent chance of being burgled in 2009-10, those with enhanced security
had a 0.6 per cent chance – an odds ratio of one to ten.

However, the bad news is that homes with basic home security – defined as
window locks and double deadlocks - had a 0.9 per cent chance of having
been burgled. This suggests that most of the benefit comes from basic
security. By fitting and maintaining an alarm, at enormous expense, a
householder will typically avoid one burglary roughly every 300 years.'

I wonder how many of these windows are actually locked in Summer?

Mine are when I am sleeping.

Not there is any real need with a decent dog tho.